Install from a local copy on Windows
It is strongly recommended to install the released version. Try it if other installation methods result in errors.
Windows installation currently requires Visual C++ 2017 Build Tools.
Training on GPU requires NVIDIA Driver of version 418.xx or higher.
To install the R package from a local copy of the CatBoost repository on Windows:
Download and install Git locally.
- Open Git Bash and create a directory for the local copy of the CatBoost repository:
Open the created directory.
- (Optionally) Configure the proxy if required:
git config --global http.proxy http://login:password@ip_address:port_number
- login and password are the proxy credentials
- ip_address is the IP address of the proxy server
- port_number is the configured proxy port number
Clone the repository:
git clone https://github.com/catboost/catboost.git
Install Python and add it to PATH.
Install Visual Studio Community 2017.
Note.Visual Studio forcibly installs the latest version of the compiler upon each update. The latest MSVC compiler may not be suitable for compiling CatBoost, especially with CUDA. It is advised to install VC++ 2017 version 15.6 v14.13 for CUDA Toolkit 9.2 and 15.6 v14.11 for CUDA Toolkit 9.0 and 9.1.
- Choose the Windows Platform development and Desktop Development with C++ options in the workloads tab.
- Choose a suitable version of the MSVC compiler. The version of MSVC for CUDA Toolkit 9.0 and 9.1 should not be higher than 15.6 v14.11, while the version for CUDA Toolkit 9.2 should not be higher than 15.6 v14.13.
- Open the properties window for any cpp file of the project.
- Ensure the absence of the
/nologooption in the compiler's command-line (for example, by adding the deprecated
/nologo-option in the Command Line/Additional Options box).
- Compile this source file (Ctrl + F7).
Enable the required version as described in the Visual C++ Team Blog.
Run the environment setter from the command line with the
vcvars_veroption (the path to the script depends on the installation settings):
call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Auxiliary\Build\vcvars64.bat" -vcvars_ver=14.13Then open the solution:
The set version of the compiler is printed to the Output window. CatBoost can not be compiled with 19.14.* versions.Use one of the following methods to set the recommended version of the compiler:
- Perform the following steps in RStudio:
- Check for package updates:.
Open the catboost/catboost/R-package directory from the local copy of the CatBoost repository.For example, if the cloned repository local path is C:\CatBoostRepository the following command should be used:
Run the following commands:
install.packages('devtools') devtools::build() devtools::install()